Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Whole New World



This was my Sub folder today, so I found this picture perfect for this blog!! :)

Yes, folks, I am finally ready to do a blog about my new job. At first I wasnt sure it was really a "job", I get paid for it, but it isnt a regular thing, so that threw me for a loop. I was assured by Joshua, that it is a job, or a "yob" as we call it. (House Bunny movie, funny stuff, watch it!!)

Ok, let me go back to the beginning. My first call was for Kindergarten, more specifically my own sons class, the very class that I am a helper in on Wednesday afternoons. I knew the kids, and I thought that would be helpful. (I was still freaked out after I got the call though!!!! Thats just how I am, I freak out, then I get over it.) I get to school and head to the class with my son in tow. I pick up the schedule and its alot of reading. I try to glance ahead so I know what to expect throughout the day. I knew the afternoon part pretty well, so I focused mostly on the morning. Ahh....the morning. The busiest, craziest, busiest time of the day!!!! I tried to read the schedule, greet kids as they came in, read, get the kids on task, read. It was overwhelming!!!! The first chance I got a break, I discovered that my monthly gift had just arrived. ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDIN ME!!!!!! So, not only did I have the newness and overwhelmingness of my very first subbing day to contend with, I also had Aunt Flo as I like to call her. Aye yi yi!!!! To make a long story short, I made my way through the day, the kids remained in one piece and my hair remained in my head. I never got angry or sad, I enjoyed my day even though I was completely overwhelmed and had not expected to be!!

Now, let me tell you. I tore myself up about this first day for days after. Days, I tell ya!! I didnt feel I did the best that I could have done. I didnt get anything done in the lesson plan folder, I was so overwhelmed, my brain wasnt working very quickly, I felt like I was in a dream and couldnt move. Seriously!!! So, I thought about how the day went, over and over in my mind. I talked to my sons teacher about how the day went and how I felt I did. I wasnt happy with how I did on my first day. Mostly because I didnt get anything in the lesson plan folder completed. That is NOT like me at all!! I am organized and thorough to a T. I couldnt process this!!! Finally, she told me to "stop beating yourself up". So, I did. The kids and I had made it through the day without any catastrophes, and I am letting myself be happy with that.

Let me tell you something else real quick. My background is in Psychology. Psych has its own way of doing things and its own lingo. Education has its own way of doing things and its own lingo!!! I am learning the Education way of doing things now. I ask questions when I dont know what something is, or what something stands for, or if I am supposed to stay with the kids, or what I am supposed to be doing. Asking questions has helped me alot to get a better understanding of the Education way!! I also took it upon myself to arrange it with my sons teacher to go into her class for an All Day Training Day. I wanted to just observe and see how things were done from beginning to end. I took notes so I could read them later and go over it in my mind. I am a VISUAL person, so being able to actually SEE things during the day instead of only reading them on the schedule, helped ALOT!! I thought people would think I was crazy for spending a whole day, but they actually thought it was a really good idea. Most subs that I know have backgrounds and training in things other than Education, and we arent given any training, just sent to the class. That may work fine for some subs, but I knew better for myself. The first day was proof!! :)

Ok, so onto my second Subbing day. It was also in a Kindergarten class. It went sooooooooo much better!!!! I still had to use my voice alot to keep them on task, but they are kids, thats to be expected!! I got the lesson plan completely completed, except for a few pages in a book I didnt get read. YAY!!!!! This made me feel bad again for not getting my first subbing days lesson plan done, but she would tell me to stop beating myself up again, so I stopped that thought immediately!! lol

My third subbing day was today. I was in a 4th grade class this time. I have had a bit of an issue the past couple days with losing my voice. I thought today would be an easier day on my voice because the kids were older, less redirection. HA!!! Those lil buggers still needed redirection and reminders to stay on task. I made it through the lesson plan again and got it all completed. I was very grateful for a half day because by noon my voice was almost gone and I had to squeak out the end of day directions for bus students and car students.

Now for my favorite parts of subbing:

1. I enjoy having something to do that I really enjoy doing.

2. I enjoy the adult interaction that I dont get being a SAHM and havent had much of for 6 years.

3. I feel like my brain is being exercised and all my knowledge is returning. Being home for 6 years talking kid-talk kinda doesnt have a need for big people words and knowledge.

4. I like it when the kids in class think they are gonna get away with something and then BAM I know something they didnt think I knew and their jaws fall open. That cracks me up!!

5. I like finding out who the kids are in class who are going to be helpful to me if I have questions. Conversely, I also like finding out who the ones are who are going to be lil buggers and getting them to change their course to Buggerdom, and behave and actually participate in a positive manner in class.

6. I like learning a new way of doing things..........the Education way!!!!!!!!! :)

There you have it............my Subbing blog that I have promised you, and then postponed for a while until I got a better understanding of it. Hope it was a good read!!

xoxo

S

3 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds like you have come a long way in a short time. Great job, Stef. I am glad you are so dedicated and strive for perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just glad I am out of school :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I'm thinking you are really liking this. Careful - you may end up getting a teaching lisence and doing this gig full time! I'm so pumped you're loving it. Can't wait till you can sub in my room!

    ReplyDelete