Thursday, January 1, 2009

Find the time



Today, my mom, my kids, and I went to see my Grandpa. He had just gotten home from being in the hospital following two heartattacks. He is 93. He looked really good, tired, but good. He was in good spirits, laughing and telling story after story. He told the kids stories about when he was a kid, about how he would have to walk to school a mile and a half, and sometimes the snow was so high that it covered the tops of the fence posts, and sometimes the wind was so strong he had to walk backwards to keep from falling over. He told them about the chores he used to do and how he had to carry a lantern on his arm for light. Many stories I had never heard so it was nice to hear. When my grandma was alive, she did most of the talking. My mom and I decided that Grandpa was making up for that now! I kept thinking how I wished he was feeling stronger so that he could show the kids the trick he used to do with a broom EVERY single time I would go see him as a child. I never got tired of it!!

We dont go see him nearly enough. I was really hit with that today and felt sick to my stomach and felt so selfish. Im going to make a point to go visit all of our grandparents more often!! Its day one of this new year, and Ive added another resolution to my list!! :)

xoxo

S

2 comments:

  1. That it is a great resolution to add to the list...I need to do the same. I only have one grandparent still alive and I don't go see her as much as I should. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steffi, our paths cross again! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog about the 'one little word' concept and welcome to the world of blogging! Happy 2009 to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete