Friday, January 30, 2009

Question for my teacher friends

If you have talked to me in the past week, you will have noticed that my voice is a bit "off". I do not think I have strep. I honestly think I have laryngitis. I have looked up the symptoms and laryngitis fits. Now, if you dont know me that well outside of a public place, let me just tell you that normally I have a very loud voice. Ask my hubby, he will tell you Im LOUD. I have also been a stay at home mom for 6 years, so my voice has not been used that much other than just normal talking and occasional loudness while having fun with friends.

Here is my question.....

When you guys started teaching, or even subbing before you were a teacher, did you guys experience this??

I dont think its a coincidence that once I started subbing, that I have now lost my voice. When I sub, I use my voice pretty much non-stop from 8am until 2:45pm, and its not the normal voice for most of that, because having 20 little kid voices I feel I need to kick my voice into a higher gear. Im not yelling or screaming, but I am talking at a higher volume than I normally do. Should I stop that?

Because I feel that this is laryngitis, I know that my voice box is involved. I have clearly done something WRONG!!! I am projecting my voice in the wrong way, I think. I need to learn how to project it correctly. Maybe I should talk to a music teacher next time I sub? What do you guys think?

I didnt work today, so I have been able to rest my voice. My body, is not resting. I am having to swallow constantly and that doesnt help one to sleep. The pain is more of a dryness pain and it is in my neck area, where a guys Adams Apple is located. Thats where the voice box is, right?

I need some advice, and words of wisdom from you guys!!! Share stories if you have had this happen to you!!! Please please please!! :)

xoxo
S

4 comments:

  1. Do they still have the speaker thingies? with the headsets? I used those when I subbed and it saved my voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive seen it in Maxs class, but havent looked for it in any other class. I will look now!!! Lesson learned, I cant be voiceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chica!
    They do still have the speaker/microphone sets. Not all classrooms have them, but most do. Check for it the next time you sub. It will definately help out.
    I usually have a little round of scratchy throat the first week of school or so - getting back into the routine of things and talking so much.
    I've also learned over the years that the louder they talk, the softer I talk. It helps them to keep their sound down and doesn't cause me to lose my voice (or sanity).
    Have I mentioned how glad I am that you're subbing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember now you having a lostish voice during the first Zebra Zone. I am making notes in my head about these suggestions. Sometimes its the smallest things, isnt it? I am glad I am subbing too!! And the school that starts with a C is my favorite, bet ya cant guess why!???! :)

    ReplyDelete